Focusing night shots?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,064
Re: Focusing night shots?

PerL wrote:

I tried to do some night shots with the 16-50 kit lens on the Z50 but didn't figure out how to focus at infinity (the sky) with the lens. Has anybody a tip?

Find something in the sky, using AF, like a star or the moon, let the camera AF, and then switch to MF. That's how I have found to best focus at infinity when there is no scale.

I have also heard of people focusing on a far away object (something as far as way as they can find from their position) focus on that with AF, focus, and then switch to MF to lock it in.

That I think is about the only two options for this with lenses without some sort of scale on them. I would say try to focus on something in the sky first, if you don't have a foreground subject and your photographing, say, the milkyway or the moon as your subject.

It will take some trial and error to get it right (even with a lens with a focus scale on it so just take some time and try a few shoots. Once you do get it to lock onto something in the sky, and switch to MF then just tweak using MF and perhaps focus peaking (doesn't always work but helps if the stars are bright enough).

Also if you're doing astro photography, be sure to read-up on the 500 rule, and adjustments you need to make for APS-C/crop sensor cameras.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow