Returning the Oly 150-400

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SharonO Regular Member • Posts: 248
Returning the Oly 150-400

By way of introduction, I photograph wildlife and switched from Nikon D800-series full-frame bodies and Nikon lenses to Olympus a few months before the pandemic struck.  Lugging the huge, heavy Nikon equipment around was ruining my enjoyment of wildlife photography. Plus, I'm small in stature and not getting younger

So, sort of forgetting why I switched to Olympus in the first place, I pre-ordered the 150-400 lens on day1 and have been testing it for about 10 days. My conclusion is the lens is too big for me and defeats the purpose of my switch to Olympus. The image quality is exceptional, but I'm missing shots in areas where tripods won't work. (Also missing tripod shots, but that's likely user error).  The lens is just too cumbersome for me to hand-hold for long periods.  It's also so large, my current camera backpack will barely accommodate it, but even that requires the hood to be removed.  Without the new lens, the backpack will hold my entire collection of Olympus equipment! (2 bodies, 4  lenses.)

Fortunately, the image quality produced by the other Olympus pro lenses is great (300 F4; 40-150; 12-100).  Even the 100-400 is amazing in reasonable light.  My long-range low-light solution going forward will be the 300 F4 with a TC.... not as flexible as a zoom, and not as much light reaching the sensor wide-open, but a good compromise for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing captures made with the new lens.  It really is an engineering marvel.  Kudos to Olympus for figuring out how to cram so much technology into a somewhat portable package.

SharonO's gear list:SharonO's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow