Expose for shadows/highlights

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
peripheralfocus Veteran Member • Posts: 4,695
just reiterating that scans are lying to you

brandon77 wrote:

From watching videos and the majority of the comments, Getting a reading off the subject with a handheld meter, and likely in the shadow area seems the best way to do it.

It's an excellent way to meter for portraits. I would always use it, if possible (i.e. I have one of my handheld meters with me and the subject is cooperative).

I’m going to try that anyway ignoring the metering my camera, I haven’t had a lot of luck with that

Honestly, I doubt it's you or your camera, if the example you posted is typical of your shooting. What you're having is bad scanning. As I said before, if you're not looking at your negatives, you're not seeing what you and your camera actually did. Don't go down a rabbit hole based on inconsistent or poor scanning. Find a different lab, or start doing your own scanning.

Where your K1000's meter could fail with Portra 400 is in backlit situations, or in scenes where your subject is in shadow, but the rest of the scene is not (really just a variation on the backlit scenario). Those are easy to deal with; just walk up to your subject and make sure your K1000 can't see the highlights in the background, set your exposure, then back up and take the shot.

Just noting again: all of the above comments apply if your camera is working properly. If your meter is bad, or your shutter is malfunctioning, then all bets are off.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow