Is any art photography simply rubbish?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
linux99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,151
Alfredo Garcia. Sells through the Saatchi Galley.

D Cox wrote:

Rambow wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

The more you study, the more you realize how little you know.

Exactly. And this is why people go to college. Not art college, don't know what they do over there these days.

IMHO, art is not good or bad, but it can appeal to you or challenge you on many different levels, dismissing it as rubbish is to deny yourself the opportunity of developing your world view.

If i take a picture of a blotch or a trash can and say they represent "human choices" is that art? Why, because i say so? Is pop art art because it contains the word "art"?

Generally speaking art died somewhere after the beginning of the 20th century. For any domain there is a beginning, an apex, and a decline. For the last century we have been living the decline of arts.

I have a friend who works in a museum. She sent me pictures. You want art? This is art:

And now there's this:

Don't need my degrees to tell which is which on this one, ask any 12 year old. Coincidently, the same 12 year old could have been the artist behind the second example. I've seen better stuff spray painted on walls. Hey, graffiti is real art!

So just to make it clear, if a 12 year old can reproduce a "work of art" by randomly doodling with a brush on canvas for 20 minutes, the resulting piece and the one it copies are not art, but at least the kid has an excuse.

Who painted your second example ? Certainly not a 12-year-old. Twelve year olds paint as realistically as they can.

Alfredo Garcia. Sells through the Saatchi Galley.  This picture sold for $1,250 US.

I actually quite like his work: https://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/a/alfredo90640/ - he's relatively prolific and I like the colors and energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI9GELTU6bA&t=18s

It's sad to find in 2021 that there are still people who hate non-figurative paintings on principle.

Don Cox

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Canon PowerShot S100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100T +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow