FZ82 video "jello"/"jitter" in handheld VIDEO

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alban85 New Member • Posts: 13
FZ82 video "jello"/"jitter" in handheld VIDEO

Hi all!, first post here!.

I have recently bought an FZ82...so far so good, really enjoying the camera, and I think overall for the price, it is a FANTASTIC option, with, almost, unmatched lens length power. Paired with photolab+deepprime, I'm loving the results for the small sensor in photos.

The 4k video quality is astonishing, however, I'm experiencing a bit too much of "internal shakiness" in the videos, I mean, when handheld, with OIS enabled, and as soon as I get into focal lengths about 60mm and up, I can't get rid of video shakiness or jitter, like high frequency vibrations acting like "waves" running over the image (even when not panning, just making still recordings). I'm not sure I'm talking about "jello" effect but might be that. It is like the OIS is not fully stabilizing the image "internally" (inside the image, not the overall frame).

To put it clearer, the image FRAME of the videos is quite well stabilized with some smooth and nice "handheld look", so the camera does a great job there, but the images have a jitter that makes it difficult to easily enjoy and look to the fine details (which are there). This doesn't happen when using a tripod. Of course this gets much worse if I dissable OIS, but the thing is, even with OIS on, this effect is still there.

Here is a good example of what I'm talking about:

I'm shooting at 4k 30fps (it doesn't matter really, this effect will happen 25, 30 and 60 fps modes), aperture mode (lower possible), iso 80 and day time. So the camera decides best speed. I have tried shooting full manual with 1/60 (double the fps) and 1/30 (cinematic motion blur) but the "jitter" due to handheld movement is still there. Also shooting full manual is not possible in most situations with moving subjets so.

Watching other, more expensive cameras 4k videos, I see wonderful "static" videos, where the images are free of internal (over the image) shakiness which leads to a very smooth and easy to the eyes viewing experience. I wonder if all this is due to the cheaper camera's OIS (I'm asking too much for a cheap camera) or is there any way to improve/remove this from my hanheld videos? settings, shutter speeds, etc?.

Thanks!!

Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow