Expose for shadows/highlights

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
tassienick Senior Member • Posts: 1,515
Re: gray cards and incident readings

Overrank wrote:

tassienick wrote:

Autonerd wrote:

brandon77 wrote:

From watching videos and the majority of the comments, Getting a reading off the subject with a handheld meter, and likely in the shadow area seems the best way to do it.

Wellll, with an incident meter, "metering for the shadows" doesn't matter.

What do you mean by this?

The concept of ‘metering for the shadows’ (ie. to preserve shadow detail and take advantage of colour neg’s highlight latitude) is equally relevant for incident and reflective meters.

I use an incident meter for probably 90% of my work, and almost always use it to meter for the shadows (if the shadows are relevant for the composition).

For me the parenthetical part is the key, IF the shadows are relevant. I try and hide things in the shadows that I don’t want in the final image, so metering for the subject tends to give me the right setting.

Certainly. I’m not for a moment suggesting that metering for the shadows is always appropriate.

I was just puzzled by the comment that it doesn’t matter when using an incident meter.

That is one reason I find the digital infatuation with ETTR rather strange, because (to my way of thinking), I don’t care about noise in the shadows because I don’t want to see them anyway.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow