The M42 adapter used on Nikon F can make a huge difference

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Albert Silver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,373
Re: The M42 adapter used on Nikon F can make a huge difference

Diacyclops81 wrote:

Going mirrorless is the best idea for using adapted lenses. Getting inexpensive adapters shouldn’t be an issue going forward, except for little used mounts, like Topcor. Nailing focus with an old manual focus lens on a DSLR requires live view to be most accurate. At which point a mirrorless body might well have focusing aids that are better than on that DSLR.

In spite of using glasses, I don't find it that hard, plus if it becomes an issue you can cheat. I.e. Get with range of the focusing, then while deliberately underfocusing and then shooting past it, fire away so that at least one of them is bound to be the 'right' one. It is easier with a shallow DOF as you can see quite clearly what is in focus or not.

On a side note…it is a very deep rabbit hole to venture into if comparing vintage 50 and 55mm lenses, whether 1.4 or 1.8/2.0. The Mamiya Sekor 55 1.4 is a good one.

Yes, I have a couple more on their way, including a Helios 44M-7 (the sharpest of the Helios 58/2s) I picked up for a decent price ($50 with free shipping).

Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow