Help me make a decision

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dperchak New Member • Posts: 8
Help me make a decision

Ok, so my wife and I are going to Iceland this summer since they will let in people who have been vaccinated (and we are). This will be our 3rd trip to Iceland. I currently have a Panasonic gx85 with the 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 (the older one not the weather sealed one) and the 25 mm f1.7 prime. (I also have the original kit lens but I don't use it much). I like this as a travel kit but it's not weather sealed. Our 1st trip to Iceland was good weather and I used the camera a lot. Our 2nd trip it pretty much rained the whole time and the camera sat in the hotel room and I used my iPhone (7+ at the time) which was waterproof and that worked out reasonably well. (I have an iPhone 12 Pro now). But I like having more reach and so was thinking about getting a weather sealed setup. But I am seriously thrashing in trying to make a decision. Here are the cameras that I am considering:

(1) Oly EM5-iii + Oly 14-150mm f4-5.6 + 25mm f1.8 Total weight = 835g Total Cost = $1700.00

(2) Oly EM1-ii + Oly 14-150mm f4-5.6 + 25mm f1.8 Total weight = 995g Total Cost = $1800.00

(3) Pany G9 + Pany 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 + 25mm f1.7 Total Weight = 1048g Total Cost = $1700.00 (getting the weather sealed 14-140)

(4) Pany G95 + Pany 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 + 25mm f1.7 Total Weight = 923g Total Cost = $1800.00

Moving into APSC range:

Fuji X-T4 + Fuji XF 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 + XF 23mm f2 Total Weight = 1277g Total Cost = $2550.00

Looking at the cost and weight of the Fuji I started to look at Nikon Z

Nikon Z-5 + Z 24-200mm f4-6.3 + Z 50mm f1.8 Total Weight = 1660g Total Cost = $2200.00

I would have considered The Sony A6400 but I'm not sure its weather sealing is up to Iceland standards and there doesn't seem to be a weather-sealed travel lens for it.

And The Sony full frames are kind of expensive so they are more or less off the list.

I like the EM5-iii for size, weight, PDAF and the fact that I can just toss it into the backpack.

But the EM1-ii is so close in price but a bit bigger but with a better grip and some other aspects are better as well.

Of course staying with the Panasonic means less of a learning curve but no PDAF and they are a bit bigger but with better grips.

The fuji is supposed to be great but it's expensive and somewhat heavy.

The Nikon Z5, price-wise seems to be a really good deal but it's heavy and large.

I lean towards the Oly Em5-iii and I think I need someone to tell me that this is the smart way to go.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Oh, and Iceland's weather can be really bad. I noticed from a previous post on one of the forums that someone ran into the same thing, weather was so bad that he didn't use his main camera. So it's not just me.

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow