R5 - Focus Guide for completely manual lens?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,441
R5 - Focus Guide for completely manual lens?

I've just bought my first completely manual lens, the Laowa 15 mm 1:1 macro. This lens has no electronics at all, so the camera doesn't even know that a lens is mounted and I have had to set the appropriate custom function to allow the shutter to fire. That works fine, but I've run into an unexpected problem which is that the MF Focus Guide doesn't work, in fact the AF box doesn't appear at all. Focus peaking does work, which is handy, but not the Focus Guide.

Even with a very wide lens stopped down to f/8 or f/11, focusing is quite critical at macro distances. Shooting at ground level it can be all but impossible to use the viewfinder, and it's not always easy to see the LCD either, so the focus peaking is hard to see.

I do find this a bit strange, given that peaking works, and also IS works for fully manual lenses just by keying in the focal length.

Has anybody found a way to make the Focus Guide work for a fully manual lens?

(The next question will be about lighting solutions... )

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow