Z6 - Autofocus settings for wildlife

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chrissi_82 Forum Member • Posts: 60
Z6 - Autofocus settings for wildlife

Hi,

Sorry to bother you. I'm a total beginner but I recently bought a Z6 as a sturdy travel camera e.g. for safaris and similar stuff.
I was to the zoo once in order to acquaint myself with the system. I was quite surprised how badly the autofocus system performed with animals. So after upgrading to the latest firmware, I had the tiny hope that Nikon had also improved the autofocus of the Z6 even if not explicitly mentioned in the change log. But I had no luck when I went to the zoo today again.

So how do you manage to get wildlife shots? What are the correct settings? I had a look at pages like https://photographylife.com/autofocus-modes#dynamic-af-area-mode and tried AF-C and dynamic mode (and all the other settings) - but the camera was not really able to track a hyena or a cheetah.

The auto area mode was fairly horrible. Admittedly, the instructions speak of cats and dogs. But I had my Z24-200 with me and got a giraffe in clear view. There is no need to switch the eye detection on the neck or even the shoulder. With the penguins, the camera liked the rocks they were standing on far better than the cute animals.

So how do I make the most of the Z6, please? The keepers were actually quite nice - I would love to have more of them though.:-)

Oh, and dear Nikon - the horns of a goat are different from the eyes as well.

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow