How usable is the S1H autofocus for narrative film?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
CineG New Member • Posts: 3
How usable is the S1H autofocus for narrative film?

HI guys, I've been trying to figure out exactly how good the S1H autofocus system is for narrative filmmaking, versus something like the A7SIII. The problem is that every youtuber does tests I find largely useless, like popping in and out of frame or running straight at the camera. None of these tests is representative of how face tracking is used for film, and I find myself wondering whether the poorly reviewed aspects of the S1H face tracking system would end up being irrelevant to my purposes. I sure would love that 6K sensor over the A7SIII's 4k one.

I have the these specific questions about narrative-centric autofocus abilities. In particular:

a) How rock-solid is it once it's locked on to a face, regardless of how long it takes to lock on? This is assuming that I don't care about leaving and returning to frame as a use case.

b) Is there much background pulsing, generally, when it's locked on a basically stationary subject?

c) How does it deal with underexposure of faces (say, an actor walking through the light of street lamps and pulsing up and down in exposure)?

Thanks guys! I know it's a detailed question, hopefully there's an S1H owner reading who has used the camera for those sorts of shots!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow