A visit to Nickerson Beach

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,889
A visit to Nickerson Beach

Nickerson Beach on Long Island's South Shore is both a bathing beach and a New York State and Federal wildlife refuge. The dunes and nesting areas are roped off to keep people out yet superb photos of nesting activity are possible from the boundaries of the nesting areas. I spend a lot of time there in the spring and summer photographing this activity yet for the second year in a row access will be limited to Nassau residents due to the pandemic so I will not be able to photograph the nesting activity and chicks. The images in this post were taken earlier in the week on day with intermittent rain and fog which provided nice soft light to work with.

-1 Common Tern arriving at nest

-3 American Oystercatcher with the Atlantic Ocean in the background

-6 There are a few thousand common terns in the colony

-7 Barn Swallow migrating north

-9 Black Skimmer, the first one to arrive. There will be a few hundred in a few weeks

-10 Sanderling Sandpipers

I also saw cormorant, osprey, piping plover, thousands of brant geese, canada geese. It is quite a workout shooting at Nickerson Beach as there are so many subjects I'm constantly active taking photos.

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow