Testing lenses... again.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
cocoanud
cocoanud Regular Member • Posts: 458
Re: Testing lenses... again.

Initially I thought these RF600 and RF800 were the worst lens ideas ever.

After having used the RF600 my conclusion is that these are probably the most accessible way to get super telephoto on full frame.

They are not expensive (compared to the Big Whites) and even if these were cheap and not light, it would have defeated the purpose.

Regarding limited focus area, I don’t know what to make of it really. I am also trying out a Tamron 100-400 with a 1.4x giving me 560mm at f/11ish (assuming that Tamron lens is best at f/8) and I can’t say having the entire sensor available for AF has helped. Granted, I am not even close to the skill level of even an armature bird photographer. But restricting the focus area seems to help rather than come in the way. (In case of BIF photography as a specific use case)

Similar thoughts on the 4.5m MFD. It doesn’t get in the way.

For me (and I am guessing for others), these lenses could be the gateway drug to getting a Big White... OR try it out and move on after scratching that itch. At the very least, they have made BIF and Bird photography accessible for me where previously I believed that to be frustrating and one of the least rewarding form of photography ever. (Equal credit to R6 as well BTW)

Cheers,

—C

cocoanud's gear list:cocoanud's gear list
Nikon Z7 Canon EOS R6 Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 Canon EF 70-200 F4 II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow