Essaouira, Morocco 2018

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP (unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,345
Re: Essaouira, Morocco 2018

Thanks, and thanks for the link. I've had a quick peep at his examples and will read it through later. The comments section below the article looks interesting too - I saw a snippet when someone makes a comparison to Gursky. I didn't think much of Gursky's work until I watched a couple of youtube documentaries about him. As his most famous piece is arguably his worst there's no wonder I didn't rate him before finding out more.

I spent a weekend in London shortly after watching those and found a surprising influence. For this shot to be maximalism there's need to be workers on the roof - that would work very well as they'd be in a different world to the tourists below. Each working independently, each dependant on the other. But as is, I'm really pleased with how this photo worked out though I'd correct the keystoning if I could find the original file! Wrapped buildings is a fave theme, I can't resist them - especially if it is a landmark structure.

The idea of maximalism is simply to say there's more to photography than minimalism. Deep down, it is also a reaction against the critique 'what's the real subject, nothing is taking control of the picture'. Although the comment is often well placed there are times when it totally misses the point. My horseguards shot would not have been taken had it not been for the wrapping, but is that the subject? I don't think so, but neither is it a passive background.

-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer https://johnleechstudio.smugmug.com
You are welcome to reprocess and repost my pics on DPR.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow