Loxia 21mm 2.8 - Focusing Issue

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BlackRooster New Member • Posts: 2
Loxia 21mm 2.8 - Focusing Issue

Hello,

I'm new to this forum.

I'm wondering if someone can offer advice on using the Loxia 21mm. This is my first prime lens, and I'm using it on a Sony mirrorless. I normally shoot landscapes with wide zoom lens, like the 16-35. Manual focusing with the wide is not an issue. I get great results.

Manually focusing the Loxia is new to me, and I'm having trouble focusing it for max sharpness to infinity. I'm using the lens' depth of field scale and it's giving me mixed results. With a wide zoom lens, I normally focus at about 1/3rd into the frame, which generally gives me solid results across the entire frame.

The Loxia isn't giving me sharp results across the entire frame, and I'm sure this is not the result of the lens, but the result of me doing something wrong.

Any advice on how to get good focus results with the Loxia? Note, I'm also using focus peaking to help, but I'm noticing either the foreground is sharp and the background is not, even at f8 or f11. The alternative also is true - the background is sharp and the foreground is not.

Thanks in advance!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow