Expose for shadows/highlights

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP brandon77 Regular Member • Posts: 254
Re: right, except that it's underexpose

brandon77 wrote:

peripheralfocus wrote:

Bags27 wrote:

It goes back to the zone system in which you meter the shadows, and the meter automatically places the shadows in zone V (18% grey). But then highlights could get lost, and you want your shadows in zone III. So, overexpose by 2 stops (moving shadows from zone V to zone III) and develop normally.

This is right, except that you made an inadvertent error. To move shadows from Zone V to Zone III, you underexpose by 2 stops from the meter reading -- i.e. you need to reduce the exposure by two stops from what the meter is recommending, by choosing a faster shutter speed, a narrower aperture, or a combination of both (or even by using a neutral density filter).

As you know (but the OP may not), if you point a reflected light meter at a black object (shadows), it will recommend an exposure that will reproduce the object as gray (i.e. lighter than it is). To reproduce it as black, we have to reduce the exposure from whatever was recommended by the meter.

Yes this is the part I’m confused by. This photo is a good location of me trying to rate my film one stop more, and looking at the meeting in camera only. I have seen many other people shoot in the same conditions and the subject doesn’t get blown out.

Having shot in shade I also get mixed results

What would be the best way for me to metre scenes and know it’s correct before shooting, knowing I have the metre inside. Do I get a handheld one and just ignore that?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow