Testing lenses... again.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fredlord
fredlord Veteran Member • Posts: 3,170
Testing lenses... again.

Remember, I'm not a scientist or optical engineer. If I were, I'd still be working on this comparison.

I was able to do a setup on our patio to shoot with the following:

Canon R5

RF 100-500 with both the RF 1.4X and RF 2X extenders

RF 800 with both extenders

EF 500 II with both the EF 1.4X III and EF 2X III extenders.

I let the camera focus each time shooting a minimum of four frames with each lens setup. I picked the sharpest from each set of exposures after processing all the images. They were very consistent I thought.

I used the Canon RC-6 infrared, no-touch remote.

The tripod was my old faithful 2002-vintage Gitzo G3250 carbon-fiber tripod using only one set of leg extensions. It was used on our concrete patio surface. Tripod head was the PhotoClam version of the Arca-Swiss Cube.

It went much as I expected.

The sharpest was, as always, the EF 500 II lens with or without extenders.

The second sharpest was the RF 800 with or without extenders.

The RF 100-500 was last but it did throw one curve ball. It seems to be sharper with the RF 2X extender vs. the RF 1.4X extender. I will be comparing further with these two combinations.

-- hide signature --
 fredlord's gear list:fredlord's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS R5 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +12 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow