Cooler or warmer?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Merlin5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,505
Re: Cooler or warmer?

Lightright wrote:

Merlin5 wrote:

Hi guys. Hope you don't mind, but would appreciate your opinions in helping me decide which version to go with. I've got another photo I can't decide on the white balance I want. Do you think it looks better cooler or warmer? The first is a cooler white balance temperature at 4550 and more bluey.

The second is warmer at 5333 kelvin and pulls out more orangey or yellowish colours. In some ways I prefer the first because I'm a fan of blue, it's my favourite colour. On the other hand, perhaps the second ones is slightly more subtle and richer in colours. Which do you think is more appealing? I can't decide which one to put on my flickr page. Many thanks for looking.

WB 4550

WB 5333

And for reference, this is the raw image OOC before processing.

It looks like you got it mixed up with the labels. The top photo should be cooler and the bottom one is warmer. Warmer colors are less than 5k kelvin. Overall, I prefer the warmer one with a bit of orange filtered light coming from the clouds on top as the scene transitions into night time.

So wait, I've chosen the wrong photo then? Everyone here prefers warmer and I took that to mean my middle photo labelled 5333. But since I've misunderstood that warmer is below 5000, then they must have meant the first photo? Although I must say, I think my middle image looks closer to Joachim's edit than my first one.

Merlin5's gear list:Merlin5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a6600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow