Cooler or warmer?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Joachim B Contributing Member • Posts: 846
Re: Cooler or warmer?

If given the choice between the two, I would prefer warmer. That's because there is a lot of blue in the image already, and emphasizing that leads to a very saturated, but flatter image. The warmer white balance gives a bit more contrast.

Yet, there are so many nice colour transitions in the image, greens and purples... If I would have the raw file, I would try to get as much emphasis on the different colours in the picture as I could. So instead of only playing with the yellow/blue balance, I would shift a bit to the green side, equalize the histogram a bit, pump up the vibrance and lower the saturation.

Also I would color-tone the image so that the shadows get a bit warmer, and the lights get a bit cooler tones.

When I do this to your JPG output, this is te result. I still don't really like the dark patches in the middle, but that's all the JPG has in it. For fixing those I would need the extra headroom the raw file probably has.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow