GFX 100S focus bracketing stops before infinity

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 33,346
GFX 100S focus bracketing stops before infinity

With the GFX 50S, GFX 50R, and GFX 100, I had experienced outdoor focus bracketing sequences where the camera ended the series before it was focused all the way to infinity. I’ve written that use of the feature off and not used it, but I never performed any testing aimed at finding a smoking gun. Several people have claimed that the focus bracketing does go all the way to infinity, and even beyond sometimes.

You know me, I had to test.

Conclusions:

With the 80 mm lens, the camera does indeed stop short of infinity.

When I tried this experiment with shorter, slower lenses, I got the same results, but because of the increased depth of field, the differences were far less dramatic. Admittedly, this is not a realistic use of focus bracketing, but it does bear out what I’ve observed before.

I think Fujifilm should modify their firmware to allow focus bracketing to go slightly past what the camera thinks is infinity. You can manually focus past infinity, so it’s not a hardware issue.

Details here:

https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-100s/gfx-100s-focus-bracketing-stops-before-infinity/

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow