Camera setup for exhibition space and artwork photography?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tou001 New Member • Posts: 2
Camera setup for exhibition space and artwork photography?

Hi,

I am wondering about what is the best option for this use case:

I need a camera setup for taking pictures inside a gallery (ie. the exhibition space, approx. 30m2 in size) and also on occasion for taking pictures of the individual artworks (just the work, nothing else). Photos will be mainly for use in the Web and at times for small prints (around A5 size).

The budget is a limiting factor at approximately 2000 Euros. There are no lenses I can use. The only thing I have is a tripod.

Right now, I am thinking about the Nikon Z5 or Nikon Z6 with the Z 24-70 f4 (they are roughly the same price at around 1800 Euros).

I believe that I need full-frame to get good, bright images of the exhibition space (light situation can vary of course). I believe 24-70 should cover the space relatively well.

However, to take pictures of the individual works, I think I may struggle due to uneven light in the exhibition space. I can move the works to a room with limited/no daylight but I will need lights of course. And I'm not sure if I can get good lights for around 200 Euros. Artworks are usually below 2m in size (h and w).

So my question: is it possible to meet both use cases with this budget? Perhaps I can get a cheaper camera that will still do well with the exhibition photography and invest the rest in lights. Or ditch the idea, that I can cover both use cases at this budget and decide what is more important?

I have also looked at second-hand cameras but my worry is durability - you never know what you might get and would like the camera + lens to last many years of course if possible.

Would appreciate any feedback as my head is spinning right now with options - many thanks!

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow