Need some input on choosing a birding camera and lens

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sythas Junior Member • Posts: 25
Need some input on choosing a birding camera and lens

First a bit of back story, for over a 10 years I've been shooting with Pentax. Mostly with positive experiences. I've thought about switching to Nikon before but decided to stick with Pentax. The reason then was to go full-frame which Pentax didn't had back then. In that time my focus was mostly on fashion/portrait photography.

Nowadays I hardly do any fashion/portrait but am shooting a lot of birds. For this I'm still using my Pentax gear and that's working fine(ish).

So why a change? First of all I've had a lot of SDM failures on the 50-135 and 60-250 (multiple times on both lenses). So i sold the 50-135 and now have a crippled 60-250. For birding I now have an old Sigma 50-500, screwdrive lens which is also starting to fail. The lensmount is becoming wobbly and loses connection with camera from time to time. So a new lens is needed and Pentax offers a 150-450 and the 560. Those are quite expensive and to be honest I have my doubts about the reliability. Another issue is autofocus, I miss a lot of (bird) shots due to the slow Pentax autofocus.

So a (partial) switch to Nikon is now something i want. My first idea was to go for the D500+grip with the 200-500 5.6. But the quality control issues are bugging me. That is exactly the reason why I'm not choosing for Pentax. So I'm considering other lenses like:

• The 500 5.6 PF, but this exceeds my budget (Same goes for a used 500 4.0)
  • An used 200-400 4.0, is roughly within budget but less reach and much bigger
  • Other brands Tamron/Sigma 600mm zooms; quality control issues and focus issues. Again the same reason why I'm not choosing for Pentax.
  • The 80-400, less reach. As expensive as an used 200-400.
  • 300pf + 1.4 tc, I don't want to rely on a teleconverter as primary use because of autofocus and image quality degradation

Other option I've considered are: Micro four thirds with a 100-400 lens. But I really want an optical view finder. And Sony/Canon, both of them don't have crop camera's available that suit my needs.

For now my Pentax + Sigma 50-500 combo is still working so I'm not in a hurry on making a choice but I'm curious: Am I missing some options, am I to cautious when it comes to quality control? Maybe you guys can think along with me and give some tips or settle my mind

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow