Fujifilm XF 70-300mm F4-5.6 compatibility question

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Craig268
Craig268 Senior Member • Posts: 1,572
Re: Fujifilm XF 70-300mm F4-5.6 compatibility question

Geoff Winterman wrote:

Thanks for the assurance as well as the comments about the two converters- interesting. I have the 100-400 with the x2 converter but due to my age and its size and weight it doesn't get enough use.

Except for fairly frequent imaging of the sun in my search for sun spots! (I would add - with the appropriate filter!)

I am planning to sell or trade in the "Big Boy" and go for the 70-300.

Fear not, as the 2x TC works great.   Keep in mind, all TC's create some loss of IQ and the larger the TC, the more IQ loss can occur.

However using a TC is still usually preferable to enlarging an image taken without a TC. As expected, a smaller TC, i.e. a 1.4x will yield images with better IQ than with a longer 2x TC.

However, images with a 2X TC are usually perfectly acceptable and with just a bit of post work i.e. some sharpening, such images are just fine.

Fuji's 2X TC doesn't get a lot of love but with it's limitations (as with any TC) and applying a little post work, images are still excellent.

I use it regularly with my Fuji 100-400 with no complaints and the 2x TC will work well with your 70-300.

Craig268's gear list:Craig268's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow