The M42 adapter used on Nikon F can make a huge difference

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Albert Silver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348
The M42 adapter used on Nikon F can make a huge difference

I have a few 55mm lenses and have two plain metal adapters for M42 lenses I bought from different vendors to use on my Nikon D750. So the takeaway is that the actual adapter and how thin it is makes a huge difference.

Using this adapter model (you will find a ton of clones so I won't waste time citing brands) I measured exactly 1m70 from end of lens to object of focus (very small text):

However, using this model (I found produce by Fotodiox and K&F, and probably some others) I get a full 1m91 with tack sharp focus:

As a very small aside, the Mamiya-Sekor 55 f/1.4 is easily the sharpest of my three (remarkably sharp in center already at f/1.7), followed by the Mamiya-Sekor 55 f/1.8, and in third is the Super-Takumar 55 f/1.8. it is quite possible later versions of the Takumar with SMC will do it better justice, but these are my results with what I have.

-- hide signature --

Albert

Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow