The upside to A-mount popularity going down

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
OP ProfHankD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,858
Re: The upside to A-mount popularity going down

SQLGuy wrote:

Although 5-pin lenses don't have distance encoding, the in-body drive in A mount cameras does. No reason Sony couldn't get that same information from the drive motor in the LA-EA4 or LAA-EA5.

Actually, they can't. You might come close using per-lens lookup tables and a focus initialization process that bangs the drive against the infinity stop (if there is one -- not all lenses have one) to set a reference point.

They keep track of focus positions, but can't generally tell what the focus distance is... and having that data, which Minolta only added for flash adjustments, actually can significantly help both IBIS and AF. This is just a tiny part of why I'm saying that it's quite difficult for Sony to just make A-mount lenses work with the different infrastructure and protocol of E/FE. Sony never even got native A mount focus performance up to near the levels of native E/FE, and I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible to do it.

This is yet another reason I consider the LA-EA4 more than good enough for me... although I'd rather have an adapter that didn't have a fragile SLT in it and the potential to need micro focus adjustments due to the SLT PD sensor not quite aligning with the main sensor (although all my LA-EA2/4/4 seem surprisingly correct without micro adjustment).

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX530 Olympus TG-860 Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a6500 +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow