Need Advice For High School Team Photos

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
What Me Worry Forum Member • Posts: 59
Need Advice For High School Team Photos

I have been taking action and team camaraderie pictures of my grandson's high school lacrosse games with a D500. This year I have been asked to take their individual and group team photos for the yearbook. While I am honored, I've never done anything like that so I need some advice.

I plan on using my Z6 with Z 24-70 f2.8 S (I also have the Z 70-200). I have samples from 2 years ago (obviously no sports in the past year) and both the individual & team shots were taken outdoors in front of the school mascot, a large concrete lion.

My plan is to use aperture priority set to f11, use a tripod so turn off VR, mount camera in vertical for individual, horizontal for team shot. I shoot with back button focus and will shoot in AF-S, Auto Area AF with face detection turned on for the individual shots. For the team photo there will be three rows of players. I know that I should focus on the second row and will use Pinpoint AF.

In the individual shot below there is a diagonal line to the left of the lion. That is a guy-wire supporting a pole. I'm sure if I move the camera over to the right and change the angle a bit I can get the shot with the lion in the background without the wire.

Due to logistics, I may only get to practice 1 or 2 times before photo day (which is next Tuesday). And just to add some fuel to the fire, they want me to do both the JV and Varsity teams.

It would be greatly appreciated if you would please review my settings and let me know if I left anything out. All comments, suggestions, advice, etc. will be appreciated. While this may be "over my pay grade" as a volunteer grandfather I want to do my best, particularly for the seniors who will graduate and this will be their last memento of their high school sports career that was cut short by Covid-19.

Thank you in advance for your help.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow