The upside to A-mount popularity going down

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 20,382
Re: The upside to A-mount popularity going down

ProfHankD wrote:

An A7RII, plus an LA-EA4, is basically a high-end A-mount SLT body for less than the very-comparable A99II.

A high end body with the autofocus system of 2010? I don't think so.

From Sony's point of view, I'm sure the LA-EA5 was really the game changer. EVF + SLT was a big step forward, but we finally have an official Sony adapter that allows A mount glass to in every way outperform what it could do using SLT technology.

It sounds like you don't own screw-drive A-mount lenses. To get any AF at all with that adapter and a screw-drive lens, you need to own a recent E-mount body.

There are some annoyances in that the LA-EA5 doesn't fully support all lenses nor all E/FE bodies, but it looks like going forward, it probably will work with all new bodies.

I wonder if it will ever support video AF with any lens or new body.

So, here's the summary of what's really happening:

• Sony has finally completed the transition of A-mount to a mirrorless implementation that outperforms all previous A-mounts. An LA-EA5 on an A1 is wildly better than any "native" A-mount body.

You really should stop saying that. Even if it were true, should we celebrate the availability of an adapter for a $6500 camera that can provide most of the AF functionality that we could get with a discontinued $3000 camera?

• Lens cost is gonna dive. There will be a lot of folks getting rid of their A-mount lenses at really low prices, so it's gonna be a great time to buy rather than sell.

No disagreement there, but the dive is not new. It's been a great time to buy for several years.

In summary, I look forward to seeing you in the adapted lens forum....

I know you'll have company over there, but I don't think you'll be seeing me.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow