XF 70-300mm: my thoughts

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 16,240
XF 70-300mm: my thoughts
  • The IQ is excellent to very good according to FL and/or TC used, aperture used, but  always much better than "good enough"
  • The built is excellent and unlike DPR review I do not feel it "plasticky"
  • The zoom ring is smooth but ferm and even without lock the zoom does not creep
  • The aperture ring has much too smooth clicks like many XF lenses resulting in easy unwanted aperture setting changes
  • The OIS is excellent and I must say surprising, easy to shoot at FL 420mm at less than1/80 sec (with the XT3, even better with the XH1)
  • The AF in day light is very fast and accurate
  • The lens pairs nicely with the 1.4xTC, the 2xTC spoils the game and IMO is unusable resulting in a huge drop in contrast and sharpness
  • The AF is very slow if you have to focus from near to far and the inverse
  • The AF might be slow as well in dim  light due to the small aperture at 300mm
  • In day light the combo with 1.4xTC works very well for BIF

Is it a replacement of the 100-400mm, no but it will be most useful when carrying the 100-400mm in treks would be really painful in a long journey, same for travels where weight of luggage does matter.

I would quote it 4/5 in terms of global performance and 4.5/5 given the reasonable price tag

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
baobob's score
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow