Help with old photo retouch

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ulrik Christiansen
Ulrik Christiansen Senior Member • Posts: 1,881
Help with old photo retouch

Hi all

I am in the process of making a photobook with images taken by my late father some 50-60 years ago. I have scanned hundreds of his agfachrome medium format slides from his travels in the Europe and Middle/Far East. My goal is to have a beautiful photobook with many (a lot) of them. A few days ago I found a paper photograph taken by my mother on a trip they made to Sri Lanka and this I would very much like to use, since it is the only one I have of him, where he is actually holding is twin lens reflex camera.

I have scanned the image on my V550 scanner as best as I could. The tiff file is huge - 10000 pixel long. But the photo contains some "artifacts" (don't have a better word) of which I am sure comes from the photo itself. The paper is kind of rough, like it contains a lot of really small bumps. You can see it clearly in the scan; a lot of white marks present everywhere. I scanned it with Digital ICE and low unsharp mask using Epson Scan software.

Here is a jpeg:

I have uploaded the original tiff file here. Beware, it is 474mb large.

https://we.tl/t-QEUV6VYxwc

Are anyone up to the challenge of trying to remove the artifacts? I could of course use it as it is, since the print size in the book would not be that large. But if someone can or knows how to fix it, I would be very happy. Even if my mother missed focus :). If it can be fixed and applied to the tiff file, I would be able to further edit it afterwards (contrast and such).

Another thing: Should I have scanned it using other settings? Maybe I have made the problem bigger by not making an optimal scan. I imaging the low unsharp mask has made the artifacts worse.

Thank you very much!

I will post this in the film photography forum as well, since there is quite a lot of scanner experience there.

Ulrik Christiansen's gear list:Ulrik Christiansen's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow