DSLR / Mirrorless camera for travelling (used)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Siddler New Member • Posts: 2
DSLR / Mirrorless camera for travelling (used)

From June onwards I'll be travelling the world for 6 months (not sure how and where due to COVID...). In any case this gives me a good excuse to upgrade my gear.

In the past I've been using a Nikon D90 + Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 and in principle the results are satisfactory. However, I am thinking about upgrading as:

• the resolution of the D90 is limited which might be limiting in printing enlarged photos (to be honest: only did this before once)
  • I'd like to profit from technological advancements in the past 10 years.

One other point is something I am not fully sure about yet: sizing down to a mirrorless camera. Although in general I don't think a DSLR is too heavy (my girlfriend does), I do note that there are a number of ocassions in which I don't bring my camera because it feels like a hassle. However sizing down might also mean that the camera is more difficult to handle although this may just be something you get used to or is solved with an additional grip. For carrying aroundthe camera I plan to use in a regular backpack / daypack, so I expect that both a DSLR and mirrorless camera would fit.

In terms of use:

• Mainly (if not only) still photograph
  • Mainly for street photography, landscapes and family pictures.
  • Don't might post-processing (will take a laptop with me)

I have a budget of max EUR 1,000 and preferably more around the EUR 800 mark . With that budget I plan to buy a used camera/lens. So that will limit me to APS-C or MFT. Selling the D90 will not net me any signifcant money, but the Sigma lens would probably sell for €150-200.

So far I've thought about the following options:

Fujifilm X-T20 (€400); or X-T30 (€650) or X-S10 (€750) + XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 OIS (€350) or XF 16-80mm F4 OIS (€550)

Given my needs I doubt whether the costs outweight the additional functions of the T30 or S30 models, but I am keen to hear your thoughts. (I've now found an X-T20 +XF 18-55mm for €575, which feels like a bargain)

In addition I consider two lenses:. Whilst one is a bit quicker on the wide end, the other provides a bit more zoom. How do these two lenses compare in your view?

Nikon Z50 + FTZ adaptor (€1000 new)

Unfortunately difficult to find used, and if I can find one the prIce is close to the new price. In that case I'll keep my current Sigma lens.

Nikon D7200 (€550) or D7500 (€700)

Again keeping the current Sigma lens. Curious to hear whether it is still good to invest in Nikon APS-C DLSRs as they have not released anything new for quite some time. Also curious to hear which of the two provides most bang for the buck.

This option also provides some room to add a 35mm F1.8 prime (€125)

Olympus

Not sure which model would be a fit for me. A Olympus E-M1 Mark II body costs roughly €700, adding a decent less would make that out of budget.

Concluding: I am keen to hear your views on the above and the questions within. Ultimately I am looking for an upgrade that provides most bang for the buck. So if you have any other suggestion I am also happy to hear those Let me know if your require any additional info

Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon D7200 Nikon D7500 Nikon D90 Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow