Best non-macro zoom lens for outdoor macro?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mzro Forum Member • Posts: 67
Best non-macro zoom lens for outdoor macro?

Hey,

Recently I've started to take photos of insects on flowers, like bees and bumblebees when they collect honeydew. I'm using my favorite wildlife lens panaleica 200mm + 1.4x TC. It has minimal focusing distance of 1.15m which isn't exceptional for the purpose. I'm thinking to get a different lens which will serve me good both for wildlife AND more close-up photos.

So, I'm thinking of either Panasonic Leica 50-200mm which has minimal focusing distance of 0.75m or Olympus 40-150mm Pro which has min focusing distance of 0.5m (according to Olympus website but some others resources specify min focus is 0.7m).

Both lenses are great and can be used with TCs. I'm leaning more towards Panaleica because it offers slightly bigger magnification, slightly lighter and more compact, and I already own TC I can use with it. I believe this lens very versatile overall. But Olympus lens is faster and works great with 2.0x TC as far as I'm aware.

Not sure if those lenses are good to use with macro extension tubes?

Why zoom lens? Because they're more flexible and more convenient too use, I guess. But you could try to change my mind here.

Also, other lens recommendations are welcome!

Mzro's gear list:Mzro's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Panasonic Leica 200mm F2.8
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow