Compressing MJPEG videos without significantly compromising quality

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
beanstalk New Member • Posts: 4
Compressing MJPEG videos without significantly compromising quality

I normally shoot RAW images and it works quite well. I normally only keep culled images on my drive, so over the last few years I have only filled up about 2 TB of storage which is perfectly fine.

Recently I tried doing some video work in 4K. I have a 5D Mark IV which records 4K at 500 Mbps, which translates to around 4 GB per minute. A small video I was making (with different camera angles) easily required 100 GB of storage, which is absolutely insane.

Although I love shooting RAW, I just can't store these massive files because of both storage space limitations and wanting to avoid the hassle of transferring/backing up these massive files. I would really like to use compressed MJPEG footage instead of these massive original files, which I have a feeling doesn't make much of a difference in output quality anyway.

Of course this would result in some quality loss, and I'm sure I'm okay with that—I don't think there would be a huge difference between a 500 Mbps file and a 50-100 Mbps file (like what the EOS R5 outputs). How can I convert these massive MJPEG files to something more reasonable? What can I convert it to, to ensure that I still retain a fair amount of editing capability with this footage?

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow