LR Tips for GFX Files

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Manzur Fahim
Manzur Fahim Veteran Member • Posts: 3,552
Re: LR Tips for GFX Files

Greg7579 wrote:

There are a lot of new GFX shooters with this new "bargain-priced" GFX 100s.

Those of us who have been shooting GFX for years know a few common things about how Adobe handles GFX files. Add your tips and tricks here:

1. Chris is adamant about this one and has reported it to Adobe many times. The LR default for sharpening is way too high at 40 and should be 31. I almost always change the sharpening to 30 to 33.

1. I created profiles for the cameras I use, and some other cameras, so whenever I import files from those cameras it will automatically default to +20 on the sharpness. Once you set it up, and backup the file, you will never have to do it again even if you install windows fresh or reset it.

2. It helps to improve performance with the big files, is if you set the cache size larger from preferences.

3. Enabling full GPU acceleration improves performance, but will cause some lags if you are using Photoshop at the same time. Change it to basic / Auto to improve performance if Photoshop is also open.

4. When culling images or even just pixel peeping or looking for the sharper images out of a few (in case of continuous shots), I found that uncompressed RAWs have a better response time than the lossless compressed / compressed ones.

5. General tips: A catalog for each shoot is preferable to me, rather than a large catalog with all images, organized by dates or folders. I find the individual catalog for each shoots works well and is more responsive. Also it is safe in a ways, in case of corruption or data loss, you are not losing much.

6. General tips: I always enable XMP and set catalog to backup every time LR exits, this way the XMP can hold the settings even if the catalog is corrupted for some reason, and backing up every time means I have redundant copies. Of course there is a skip option if you opened the catalog for something minor and doesn't need backing up.

Manzur Fahim's gear list:Manzur Fahim's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GF 63mm F2.8 Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow