LR Tips for GFX Files

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 33,842
Re: LR Tips for GFX Files

Greg7579 wrote:

There are a lot of new GFX shooters with this new "bargain-priced" GFX 100s.

Those of us who have been shooting GFX for years know a few common things about how Adobe handles GFX files. Add your tips and tricks here:

1. Chris is adamant about this one. and has reported it to Adobe many times. The LR default for sharpening is way to high at 40 and should be 31. I almost always change the sharpening to 30 to 33.

I change it to 20 to 25 for openers.

2. Chris is adamant about this one too and has reported it to Adobe. LR is always way too high on the tint (to the right towards magenta) on the bottom WB slider. It is not subtle. It almost always need to be moved to the left 6 to 12 points on the number scale.

3. In my experience of using LR to develop probably 20,000 (much more probably) GFX RAF raw files, almost any file (especially landscapes and city scenes) benefit with a little dose of Vibrance and Clarity.

Not my experience. In fact, I use negative clarity sometimes.

Not so for portraits right Chris?

4. If you post files on Flickr or DPR, go ahead and export them as full-size JPEGs at 90% quality. I learned this over many series of trial and error and lessons from Jim two years ago. That will get them down into the 35 to 45 MB range. 90% quality has really no discernable difference from 100% and some would say to go as low as 80%. Why downsize the files from full size? Leave image sizing alone and at full size and let the incredible algorithms do their work. Of course you can size for printing or for specific purposes on the web as desired and dramatically downsize the dimensions if you want, but leave the files full size for posting on DPR or Flickr (unless you are a pro trying to sell images and don't want people to have the huge file).

5. GFX files will amaze you with there mailability in LR. The ability to left shadows seems almost endless.

I don't have a problem with right shadows, either.

One must be careful not to even the scene out too much. Like Left Eye, Chris, Jim and Farz have told me many times - go easy on the shadow-lifting. Leave some dramatic shadows that add richness to the scene.

Yep.

6. Blown highlights might be forever blown (as they say), but let me tell you that the highlights slider works wonders with GFX files as you move it to the left and recover those blinkies.

Lr blinkies depend on the developed image, not the raw file. Lr at default setting will show blinkies when no channel in the raw file is blown. Lr can recover blown highlight convincingly if only one raw channel is blown. Not so much for two, and all bets are off for four.

7. Go easy on the luminance slider. You don't often need that noise reduction work and it can smooth out in a bad way some very fine distant detail that GFX files are famous for.

Unless you like the plastic look.

8. GFX files have an amazing look and the fine detail just blows you away. Experiment with the new Texture slider. It adds some oomph to tree trunks, brick walls and stone paths in an interesting way, especially with B&W conversion.

9. Try B&W 03 on GFX files with lots of contrast. There are 17 B&W profile types to choose from.

What are your favorite tips?

Have enough RAM so there's no swapping,

Use a gray card for white balance.

Go get coffee while Lr generates preview images.

Select show only unflagged images when culling, and use reject and pick, which makes them disappear.

Lr is a proxy editor. What you see on the screen is not what you'll get on export, though it's usually pretty close. In particular, artifacts that you see on screen may not appear in the export.

For compositing, send the selected images to Ps as layers. A great time saver.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow