your FZ "sweet spot": from FZ28 to FZ1000

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,802
Re: your FZ "sweet spot": from FZ28 to FZ1000

Stuart,

Thanks for asking.  Yes, we are well, just older.   Back in late 2019; we moved from our condominium of 25 years to a retirement community arranged around two large ponds.  Our place is single floor, as are all the others, and backs up on the larger pond.  Plenty of opportunities for photography here as we have resident populations of Mallard ducks and Canada geese, an occasional great blue heron; plus transients of other species, and lots of smaller non-aquatic birds.  It has been a great place to hide out from the pandemic until we could be vaccinated, which happened in February of this year.

Our pond is right around 3 acres, and wide enough that shots of birds on the far side require a long lens.  600 mm is not long enough, so I have added a Panasonic FZ80 which is not as good as I'd like; but the price was good.  I use it in the EX-M mode (9 MP) and that gives enough reach for reasonable size images of the geese and ducks.  However, the settings are not at all like those for the FZ300 and nearly all of the FZ series.

Do you recall the furor over finding the best settings for the FZ200 when they first came out, back in 2012?  Well those same issues exist for my FZ80, and I have finally figured out the rules of the game.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS M5 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow