Appropriate or Overkill camera recommendation?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
WarrenPeas
WarrenPeas Contributing Member • Posts: 919
Appropriate or Overkill camera recommendation?

A friend sought out my opinion in regards to purchasing a new camera.  She said she wanted something more pocketable.  So I said there are good hight end Point&Shoots from Sony and Panasonic, but it wouldn't necessarily provide the same image quality she may be used to.  She said she just wants something smaller.   Many moons ago, I put her on to a Canon Rebel with kit lens.  She was happy with it, but she says she just wants something smaller to carry around.

Well, times have changed, and technology has advanced.   I asked her what is her threshold for spending (her cap).  She says up to $2000.  I probably could have put her onto a lesser kit, but since she gave me a hard figure to work with, I recommended her the Sony A6600 with the 18-135 lens.

I know that she's not going to invest further into the camera, so I figured this is a good setup for someone who grew up a kit zoom lens.  The Rebel was her only camera before.  Do you think this is a good recommendation, or maybe overkill?  She wants to purchase the kit by this weekend for travel.   Thanks for any feedback.

-- hide signature --

IG: @DooDooYellow

WarrenPeas's gear list:WarrenPeas's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow