Future Sony speedlights

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,677
Future Sony speedlights

I was thinking about what innovations Sony could bring to their future speedlights and especially their RF system.

First thing, bring back the red light AF assist on speedlights and on transmitters. Correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently newer E mount cameras can take advantage of red light AF assist on older flashes, so there's no reason to not include it in future speedlights.

Second is offering a round flash head like Profoto A1 or Godox V1, but that's copycat and offering that but nothing else would just be crass.

Third, consider how RF TTL/HSS is a free-for-all, seeing what Godox, Profoto, Bowens, Metz, Yongnuo or Pixel are doing (and I'm sure I missed some).

There are three things that Sony can do:

1. Offer a full lineup of comparable products: a compact monolight in 150-300 Ws range, one or two studio monolights in 400-800 range.
    They would need to compete with others offering the same products, but compatible with a much wider range of systems with no vendor lock-in.
  2. Drastically change the flash protocol so that competing products as well as all their old speedlights are immediately rendered obsolete until you upgrade their firmware as all new cameras only work with new flashes.
    All competing products are obsolete for at least a month until new firmware appears and Sony is back in the same spot except losing reputation.
  3. Reverse-engineer Profoto Air TTL and Godox RF systems and make their own Sony transmitters (standalone and in speedlights) compatible with at least those two systems at first and gradually expand it to other systems later. Would be awesome if you could combine two or more systems in one transmitter so you could trigger Godox and Profoto lights in TTL with one Sony transmitter in one shot.
    And Profoto or Godox can't even do anything about it because there aren't any cross-licensing deals between them that we're aware of that would preclude Sony from offering a product like this.

There's apparently not much more innovation that can be done, seeing what Canon did in their latest round of flashes (automatic bounce on the 430 and doubling the price of 600), so there aren't many expectations that anyone will do something that would shake up the entire market.

There are features you could think of like automatic color temperature matching with ambient light, but it's compatible with current technology and it became obsolete over the last decade with the gradual switch from incandescent to LED lights, so there's not as much demand for it as there could have been 20 years ago.

toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +7 more
Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow