Used Leica (Typ 109)

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RVSarch New Member • Posts: 8
Used Leica (Typ 109)

I bought the original version of the Sony RX100 when it first came out. I was thinking of trading up to a version IV or V for the faster lens at the long end for portraits as well as the EVF, but was put off by the idea of the Sony pop-up finder and continuing with small fiddly controls. So, I decided on a used Typ 109 to use in situations where I don't need something quite so portable. I mainly use Olympus MFT cameras and have had such good results with DxO Deep Prime Noise reduction at high ISO, that I anticipated similar results, even with the slight crop used for the different aspect ratios.

The controls on the Leica are great, but there were two things I don't like.

#1 - The smooth metal finish is really slippery, just like the Sony. I considered buying an LX100 grip as a replacement part, but then I tried cutting some adhesive backed camera leatherette I use to restore older film cameras. Makes a big difference and I can live with the appearance.

#2 - The lens is much softer than I anticipated at 10.9mm and f1.7. Images at 34mm wide open at f2.8 are OK. So, in low light situations, I set the aperture to 2.8 and the lens behaves like a constant aperture zoom. The one and a third stop at the wide end makes a significant difference and by f4.0 the sensor resolution becomes the limiting factor, not the lens.

I'm very happy with the purchase and look forward to getting a lot of use out of the camera.

Leica D-Lux (Typ 109)
13 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 75 mm (3.1×)
Announced: Sep 15, 2014
RVSarch's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
weak
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow