Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

Started Nov 23, 2019 | Discussions thread
Dan Dare Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

Dan Dare wrote:

I've escalated this to Olympus as well as Apple, still waiting for a reply from both. In the meantime I've purchased Affinity Photo which works really well as an editing extension to Apple Photos and for £23.99 it is good value.

I can import the ORF file into Apple Photos and all I see is a blank thumbnail. but selecting Edit and dismissing the warning that there is no image detail to edit I select the extensions tab and choose Edit in Affinity Photo and from then onwards I have a viewable image which I edit in Affinity Pro and then save back to Apple Photos.

By also importing the JPGs from the camera I can choose which images to discard and the just edit the ORFs of the images I want to keep.

It's bit of a faff but it works and will do as a temporary solution until Apple provides compatibility.

Here is an update.

As of today, May 4th, I've had no reply from Apple  since I raised the issue back in February in a support call.

Today I called Apple Support and told them that Olympus Tech Support had assured me in early February that they had given all necessary data to enable RAW support to all the Image editing software providers so I asked why has Apple not included RAW Support in the latest version of MacOS 11.3.1 released 26th April? I also pointed out that as well as the E-M1 Mark III, none of the Olympus cameras introduced after the M1X have RAW support, the MiX was the last camera to have RAW support included in MacOS.

I ended up talking to a second level tech support person who said he would escalate this to the appropriate Engineering team and promised me a reply later this week.

It does seem strange that the M1X is the last Olympus camera to be supported and yet every other manufacturers cameras introduced after that are now supported by MacOS.

Dan Dare's gear list:Dan Dare's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow