Sigma fp-L autofocus problems with Leica TL lenses

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
robfereng New Member • Posts: 6
Sigma fp-L autofocus problems with Leica TL lenses

Reposting from the Sigma cameras group.

I bought a Sigma fp-L from B&H last week but observed some AF problems when using my Leica TL lenses. So I ran some AF calibration tests using Sigma/Leica/Canon lenses.

The high-level story:

- AF is spot-on with Sigma 45mm & Canon 100-400mm (adapted) lenses.

- AF shows significant front focus with all Leica TL lenses (11-23mm,18-56mm,60mm)

Please see the report with images that I put together: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uvD90OZ0CawibND-B6S_TyjjKZyncfeMiWPSlCiNvvk/edit?usp=sharing

I wish it were the case that my camera was flawed, but that seems not to be the case -- with Sigma & Canon lenses the AF is perfect.

Instead, it appears that there is a fundamental incompatibility between the Sigma fp-L and Leica TL lenses.

This is a real shame and would seem to undermine the point of the L-mount alliance, i.e. that L-mount cameras / lenses between Leica/Sigma/Panasonic should work with each other.

I reached out to Sigma and they have been responsive, so am hoping they will looking into this further and come up with a firmware fix, or other solution, at some point.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow