Photographing Satellites - Lens Question

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CharlesPhillips
CharlesPhillips Forum Member • Posts: 86
Photographing Satellites - Lens Question

All -

As I have posted here before, I use my venerable Nikon D200 to take photos of satellites - and it works pretty well. I am thinking that its time to make some upgrades and am looking for a Nikon with more megapixels - maybe a D500. Also a camera that would record video and anything past the D200 will do that.

But I have been using a slow lens, a Nikkor 35-105 zoom lens 1:35 - 4.5 because I wanted to minimize expenses while I figured out if this would work at all.

I am thinking that a pretty inexpensive upgrade would be to go to the next fastest lens, a 35 - 70mm 1:2.8 D which would still let me zoom to about 60mm. The 50mm lenses are much faster but I'd like the option to zoom to try to get a smaller field of view.

I could get this lens for about $140 and I think that it will produce brighter images.

Am I correct that the difference between the 3.5 ish and 2.8 will be noticeable? I think that I understand the ratings but feel free to correct me!

-- hide signature --

Charles
Software Writer, Orbital Mechanics Guy, Amateur Astronomer

CharlesPhillips's gear list:CharlesPhillips's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H300 Nikon D200 +2 more
Nikon D200 Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow