A1 temptation, so...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
keithinmelbourne
keithinmelbourne Senior Member • Posts: 1,014
Re: A1 .. it's a "Gucci watch" for those concerned mostly with image instead of images...

aSevenArr wrote:

Rob J wrote:

You (and likely many others) are not going to like my opinion but I'm going to throw it out there anyway for what it's worth. (probably nothing).

I too, am sorely tempted by the A1. When considering the actual purchase though, I ask myself the following questions.

Will an Ai blow the photos that I'm getting from my A7rIII out of the water? Will I take much better travel, BIF, portraits, landscapes than I do now? Will the photos that come out of an Ai be obvious to even the most sophisticated viewer that they were taken with a superior camera? Will this camera somehow improve my skill level and make me a significantly better photographer than I am now?

The answer to all of those question for me is NO.

I totally agree.

Not only is the thing ridiculously expensive but I have yet to see an image posted that could not just as easily have been captured with my current A9.

So aside from the pose factor of toting the latest gear (and almost certainly showing to others that you do NOT make your living from photography) there really is no advantage to an A1 upgrade IMHO.

IMHO it's a Gucci watch camera for those more concerned with their image rather than their images.

Me.. I'm considering one of the new prime lenses. FAR more likely to show me some clearly better results.

You could use that argument for all Leicas, the Nikon D4 and Canon 1DX. As to image, the A1 looks much the same as the A7 or A9 lines. I don’t believe an A1 will improve my image, but it may be just a little future proof. If it was image I was concerned about surely I would hang a Leica around my neck instead. I have no doubt that when the A9 came out you would have considered that an extravagant and unnecessary camera.

-- hide signature --

Every day is a good day! Wumen
“The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” Joseph Campbell
http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/

keithinmelbourne's gear list:keithinmelbourne's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Sony a9 Leica M10-R Sony a1 Voigtlander 35mm F2.5 Color Skopar +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow