Getting back into wildlife / nature photography

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mogom New Member • Posts: 5
Getting back into wildlife / nature photography

DPReview doesn't have a "nature /wildlife" buying guide, so I came here. I haven't done photography in a while, and I'm looking into a budget upgrade / sidegrade. I have an old Canon Rebel t2i and an okay lens (ef-s 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS), but they're definitely feeling their age and not ideal for wildlife. (The lens grinds sometimes when switching from AF to MF. The shutter CLACKS. There are some semi-permanent nicks from wear and tear and dust [I live in Arizona]. Still usable, just not fantastic.)

My usual subjects are my local backyard and park birds / insects / flowers / trees / clouds, and the neighborhood cats. I don't have a macro lens for the little guys, but I'd like one.

This is just a nice hobby for me, something to get me moving and outdoors, so my budget definitely doesn't include the upper end of equipment (or even the middle-range, probably), but I can justify some spending for quality / usability / ease. The lighter the weight, and the more ergonomic, the better. Video is totally optional, but anything would be nice.

Thank you in advance.

Mogom's gear list:Mogom's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow