Spherical drone shot fail. Advice please.

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
qwzx9 Junior Member • Posts: 41
Spherical drone shot fail. Advice please.

Having stitched multiple landscape shots in the past into a large flat image, similar to a satellite image but with perspective, I thought I would try the automated method built into the drone.

The process isn't mentioned in the latest manual for the obsolete Mavic Pro and with a limited time frame granted by Air Traffic Control, I was unable to experiment.

I selected the spherical option in the drone, because I wanted the horizon and ground under the hovering drone as a complete Island map. I knew it wouldn't produce a full sphere, because there is no way the camera can look up, even if there was any point to it. Sky is sky...

I ended up with RAW + JPG mosaic of 34 views. There was no assembled image.

Photoshop was unable to stitch the mosaic together in any of the options, Sphere, cylinder etc. There seemed to be generous overlap, 1/3 on average with horizon + nadir + image between them for each division of a circle. If that makes sense.

I tried deleting pointless shots like sky and a bit of land that appears on neighbouring shots. This improved things a lot, but misplaced shoreline was the main failure.

I appreciate I will have to reshoot the panorama at a later date and hope someone who has done a lot of this type of work can come up with some advice for next time.

Should I bother with the automated drone feature?

If I do, which stitching option should I try in Photoshop? Would Geometric Distortion tick box be helpful?

Done manually, where several images are combined to form large blocks and then stitching those can take a day. The perspective of each block has to be 'distorted back' into shape or the neighbouring blocks won't join. Do you know of a better way?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow