Diagonal Streaks In Sky on Select Shots (NOT Posterization)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
CarlitosM Regular Member • Posts: 308
Re: Crepuscular rays

Tristimulus wrote:

GSWayne wrote:

CarlitosM wrote:

Tristimulus wrote:

CarlitosM wrote:

Tristimulus wrote:

GSWayne wrote:

One way to try to verify if it is sun rays would be to use a program (like PhotoPills or TPE) that determines the sun angle at the particular time and place you took the photo and see if the angle matches.

Or just take a look at the foreground of the image...

The shadows in the foreground and the streaks make different angles relative to the horizon. The foreground shatows' angle appear to be smaller. You would expect the opposite if they were both from the sun.

Rectilinear wide angle lens and distortion away from the center spot...

The different rays/shadows should all still come from the same source.

When I tried comparing the angle of the streaks to the angle of the shadows on the pier they were within a few degrees. I think you cannot directly compare the two angles because the angle of the shadow on the pier will depend on both the position of the sun and the relative location of the pier horizontal beam and the object that is causing the shadow. Likewise the exact angle of the streaks in the sky will depend on the location of the clouds that may be causing the streak.

+1

I don't have huge confidence in my ability to mentally do the 3 dimensional trigonometry to figure out these angles so I this may not be a correct analysis, but I think the streaks are in the sky, not in the lens. Unless you compare the lenses at almost exactly the same time I would be concerned that you could have changes in the lighting conditions that would make a direct lens comparison difficult.

Where ever the rays break through the clouds they go straight to the sun. They should also not run towards each other when you follow them away from the sun like the two brighter ones. Have a look at the first of the last three images the OP uploaded and play with the contrast, there are odd streaks in the sky all along the image.

CarlitosM's gear list:CarlitosM's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow