Am I doing better? Sharp Focus?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
scphoto
scphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,768
Am I doing better? Sharp Focus?

I just bought a new Oly EM-1 mark iii and I've been trying it out on wildlife. In a previous thread (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65084760 ), I posted some wildlife photos that people generally thought were soft. I agreed and asked for help on improving my technique and camera settings. Thanks to all of you who responded to my request for help with my new camera in that thread and others I posted related to improving my shots.

I am using the EM-1iii with a Lumix/Leica 100-400 lens handheld.

I made some changes to my setup:

1. Took off my UV filter.

2. Set it for the electronic shutter (silent) mode.

3. Made some menu changes based on various recommendations from people who responded to my previous thread.

4. Backed off from 400mm (full zoom) and instead used 350mm at the long end.

Below are some photos that I took today at a nearby pond. Please tell me what you think about their sharpness. Please evaluate the sharpness of the fur, feathers, and skin (turtles) and not so much the eye of animal. I am trying to test sharpness and it's easier to focus on the body of the animal than to catch the eye as the center point of focus. I know this is important in getting a better overall image and I'm working on doing a better job with handheld aiming for the eye, but I will be the first to admit that I need more practice. If one looks at the fur and feathers at 100% magnification, they look pretty sharp to me. Your opinion?

Images are not post-processed or cropped. Converted from RAW to JPEG in Lightroom.

350mm at about 75 ft. (23 meters)

350mm at about 50 ft. (15 meters)

350mm at about 50 ft. (15 meters)

350mm at about 40 ft. (12 meters). I didn't get a sharp eye, but I think the tiny hairs on their backs are very sharp. Agree?

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

- Simon

scphoto's gear list:scphoto's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony RX100 VI Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow