How is AF between KP - K3.3 - K3.2 - K70

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 12,614
Re: How is AF between KP - K3.3 - K3.2 - K70

robbo d wrote:

I cant answer about K3mkiii performance yet as I too am watching from the sidelines and seeing who is providing what sort of reviews.

I can say fairly confidently that K3mkiii seems to have better tracking function which seems to be the general thoughts amongst all who now have it or have tried it. I'm happy with the balance of thinking, However:

I too am not impressed by Pentax AF-S let alone their AF-C and it's really hard to tell by others experience especially when they are Pentax users and all keen to tell a good news story about their new purchase .... dare I say it ... a tiny bit of placebo effect based on spending so much money and justifying a new camera ????

You are not too impressed by the old generation Pentax AF; and I'm in the same situation. Even the AF-S, precise as it is, is hampered by e.g. the too large AF points.

But we're talking about a new generation AF, which has to be evaluated on its own. The specs looks fine, and there are some encouraging results.

Quantifying auto focus systems is a very difficult and scientific process and hopefully someone like DPR and Chris Nichols can put it into layman's terms for me.

It doesn't have to be scientific. It could be some reasonably experienced dude getting out and getting way more keepers than usual with Pentax.

I'm very selective, and looking for samples which would show a real improvement. It's not easy for the photographer, either... so let's have a bit of patience!

By the way:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/422582-af-c-k-3iii-impressive-24.html#post5277391

Alex

-- hide signature --

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say." - George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
K0d
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow