A1 temptation, so...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Beatsy
Beatsy Senior Member • Posts: 1,182
Re: A1 .. it's a "Gucci watch" for those concerned mostly with image instead of images...

khaw wrote:

SrMi wrote:

<snip>

I skipped the upgrade from a7rIII -> a7rIV and from a9 to a9II and got a1 instead.

Agreed I am ready to order one as soon as Sony fixes the EVF/Eye sensor issue.

For me the A1 is a worthy update to my A7R II and A9. I will keep those too.

I'm still in the phase of proving (to myself) that I have absolutely no need for an A1. It's the last phase before I actually buy one (soon).

Regarding that "backup" aspect though: if I use my A9 for it's speed and tracking - I don't really have a good backup for that. If I use my A7riv for it's resolution, I only have my old A7rii to back that up, and lose a lot of useful features. So although every body I own *can* be a backup for every other one, there is a *lot* of compromise involved if the project leans on one of the camera's strengths (speed, low-light, tracking, resolution, etc). It's great having all those different choices on tap, I love it, but sometimes a bit more consistency between bodies (capabilities) would be far more useful. For backup.

Soooo - in my musings, I had a sudden change of perspective. What if I consider the A1 as the backup body!?

Well, that solves everything for me! The A1 can be backup to all my existing bodies and even covers each of their strongest features with minimal compromise (no EFCS, slightly lower resolution, etc). A7rii will push down the stack and becomes a permanent (though mobile) fixture on my microscopes and macro rigs, A9, A7riv and A1 become my main bodies - and I can now pick two of the three for a task with better coverage of whatever specific capability I need more of. It's usually a choice between high speed or resolution, though the A1 mixes that up by offering both, and I'll have no backup. But I'll live with that.

It's my birthday in two weeks, a significant "ends-in-zero" one, and I expect my order will be going in around then. It's already in my "basket" with grip and two CFExpress cards awaiting checkout. Happy birthday to meeee...

PS. I am fully aware that the chances of me treating a shiny new A1 as a backup body are less than zero. It will be glued to my hand and the only one I use for a while and then be my most-chosen-to-use body after that. But the better-backup concept works in either direction. So still good IMO.

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow