***This week with your a7x/a9x/a1, May 1st - 7th, 2021***

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
VisionLight
VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 5,827
Re: Blue Dashers

Nice captures, Stan.

Blue Dashers, like most dragonflies, are extremely sociable and will readily pose for you. You just have to engage them in a conversation, just like you would with a model. On one of my last pre-COVID hikes guiding a group of women "of a certain age", a Dasher landed on my face. The women were all so worried for my safety, when I just started talking to it, placed my hand nearby, and it went to my hand. The women went from being very afraid to very intrigued. A group of about 10 or so additional dragons came to see what was going on. So I told the women to talk to them while I went through a whole lesson on dragons. The giggling started when the dragons started landing on them, even on their faces. A lot of fun was had and a lot of pictures were taken. And a lot of myths about "the devil's darning needles" (or "dyning needles" as we called them in Brooklyn) went by the wayside.

These are some examples of the result of some interesting "conversations" I've had with these wonderful creatures:

This out of camera composition is not cropped .

Slight crop after using the "macro" mode of the Sigma 60-600mm .

and one with the A7R IV:

Again, a small crop after using the "macro" mode of the Sigma 60-600mm.

Enjoy your "conversations".    

-- hide signature --
 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow