What is holding Sigma back with the new Merril(s)?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 19,878
Re: Haven‘t you heard the news some time back....?

Jeffry7 wrote:

fusoexplorer wrote:

FDecker wrote:

Sigma, as you may know, wants to develop a new full frame 1:1:1 Foveon sensor for a photo-centric camera along the tradition of the SD9 to SD1. But they faced severe technical problems and re-started the project.

I think this is the answer to your question, plain and simple.

Yes I heard that news when it came out. And that is what it was plain and simple. I would like to know exactly what the difficulty was. Processing speeds..sensor itself.

We basically have two pieces of specific information.

One is that Sigma was unsatisfied with the noise performance of the design having off chip ADC.

Reference:

https://camnostic.com/2021/03/sigmas-foveon-fail-due-to-on-chip-adc/

Thanks for the link, Jeff.

I found the wording a little peculiar, apparently not realizing that a Foveon needs three ADC's somewhere - not just the one. And if, by ADC they meant AFE, that gives me little confidence in the rest of the blurb.

I'd almost side with Frank and say full-frame is too big and the new fab couldn't cope, but that would be mere opinion, not a fact.

-- hide signature --

Pedantry is hard work, but someone's gotta do it ...

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Sigma SD9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow